As your skin ages, it loses the collagen that helps shape and support it. Natural lines and wrinkles deepen. Sun exposure, smoking, air pollution and even stress can all age your appearance. The face can also begin to lose volume giving sunken cheeks and a ‘dragged down’ appearance.
Dermal fillers are injectable treatments to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles by plumping out the lines.
Collagen was first used in 1976, but there has been demand for non animal sourced and longer lasting products as collagen is derived from the skin of cattle. Over the last 5-6 years, products containing hyaluronic acid (eg Juvéderm™) have become available and proving to be more popular.
Hyaluronic acid is a natural polysaccharide that exists in all living organisms. The hyaluronic acid in dermal fillers is produced biosynthetically through bacterial fermentation, so it is biocompatible and there is no risk of transmitting disease. The gel is able to integrate with adjacent tissues, allowing passage of oxygen and nutrients. Juverderm's hyaluronic acid molecules are cross linked which make it longer lasting, but not permanent. The gel particles are absorbed slowly and water tasks its place. When totally absorbed, the gel disappears unnoticed from the body.
The cosmetic 'Polyfiller' has a range of uses, including lip sculpture, filling lines and folds.
• Deep smile lines which run from the side of the nose to the corners of the mouth (the nasolabial lines)
• Crows feet at the corner of the eyes
• Frown lines between the eyebrows
• Smokers’ lines which are vertical lines on the top lip
• Marionette lines at the corners of the mouth
• ‘worry lines’ which run across the forehead
• The definition of the lip border
They can also be used to improve
• Acne scars
• Depressions or pockmarks in the skin due to injury or disease e.g. chicken pox marks
• Unevenness in the skin after surgery or skin grafting
Dermal fillers must be administered only by doctors and nurses. A combination of numbing creams and or local anaesthetic injections are used to make the procedure as comfortable as possible, and treatment time can take an average of 45 minutes, depends on which areas are treated, but the results are instantaneous.
Trials indicate that Juvéderm™ can be effective for 9 months to a year for the treatment of wrinkles and for around 6 months for lip augmentation.
• Mild bruising – may take 2-3 days to vanish
• Transient redness, swelling, itching or discomfort. In the case of lip augmentation, the swelling can be considerable for a few days
• Discolouration at the implant site – this usually resolves spontaneously within 1-2 days, within a week after lip augmentation
• Palpable lumpiness at the implant site – temporary
• Cold sores – filler injection may cause a break out of cold sores if you are known to suffer from these, and so some antiviral tablets can be taken prior to injections that will minimise the risk of this occurring
• Allergic reaction:
Immediate allergic reaction – prolonged redness, swelling, itching or hard lumps at the points of injection. Sometimes they can last for several months, but this is extremely unusual.
Delayed allergic reaction – this could happen with a reported incidence of 1 in every 8000 patients treated. Red lumps may appear underneath the skin and last many months, but in a small number of cases are permanent.
• Active infection of the skin eg acne or cellulitis
• Known allergy to hyaluronic acid
• Pregnancy and breastfeeding
We use Juvéderm™ ULTRA range of dermal fillers from ALLERGAN, a world leader in surgical and no-surgical aesthetic products. Unlike other dermal fillers the Juvéderm™ ULTRA range includes a mild anaesthetic for a more comfortable injection experience.
Its comes in 3 formulations for more natural looking customisable results.
Juvéderm™ ULTRA 2 – treats moderate lines, especially those around the lips and corners of the eye and those very close to the surface of the skin
Juvéderm™ ULTRA 3 – smoothes wrinkles between the nose and the corner of the mouth as well as around the lips. It can be used very subtly to plump out the lips to maintain the smile
Juvéderm™ ULTRA 4 – works on the most noticeable folds and lines, and improves the contour of the face
Cost will depend on the number of syringes needed to create the desired effect and the formulation used. Prices start at £220 per 0.5ml syringe of Juvéderm™ ULTRA 2. One syringe is usually sufficient for mild ‘deep smile’ lines.